Skip to main content

Experiences with Lenovo S10-3t and Mac OSX

I am doing some research on Mac OS X running on ordinary PC's, and after a while,  my overall conclusion  it is a better investment to buy a mac mini, but I will not buy it for now.

Some issues with the installation

The installation procedure can be found here:

http://iatkos.me/2011/12/readme-en/

Use  iATKOS 2 to install, the most important are:

"If you have a NetBook with an Intel Atom CPU, then press F8 at boot screen, type “mach_atom” without quotes and hit enter" 

Then when you install, you have to select the Atom option, and the PS/2 option for the installation to work.

Cannot boot in OSX after installing VoodooHDA Audio Controller


One of the problems I had is that I tried installing Voodoo HDA drivers to make my sound work. After installing the drivers, I got an error about not being able to install the driver, and the installation program locked up.

After some research on the web, I found a solution to restore the machine

Boot OSX again, while still in the Chameleon Screen, press F8, then write -s to enter single user mode. To write -s just type at the screen, and a boot line will appear at the bottom.

The computer will boot in text mode.

Type (remember to write in the correct case, as the system take caps different that small letters):

fsck -fy    (This will check the disk)
mount -uw /  (This will put the disk in read/write mode)
rm -r /System/Library/Extension/voodooHDA.kext (to remove the offending driver)

then you can reboot your machine. There is no need to re install Mac OSX again.

After booting I typed the following command in a Terminal window

voodoohda-uninstall 


This deletes all traces os the voodo HDA driver

AzaliaAudio


Tried Azalia Audio package also, but .after a long time installing, and booting the machine, still no sound.

Network adapter


Another issue was with the network adapter, after a long time I found this

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1785

It works, but only when I updated to 10.7.3. Right now only the cabled network is working, hope wireless eventually works.

Starting all over again

At the end, I decided to re-partition my hard drive, as all was devoted to Mac OSX. Installed Windows 7 on one partition, and tried to install again, but got hooked in the circle/backslash screen, and nowhere to go. After forgetting the issue, and leave the machine with Windows only time went by.

It seems to be a problem with the partition table, when I tried to install Linux, I also had problems, to solve it for me, look at the article about recognizing Windows partitions to install Linux later in this blog, but to give you a hint, fix it with the tool found here:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/

after fixing the partition table, the OS installer worked again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

vmware.exe - No Disk

I was trying to run vmware last nigh, and started receiving an error message, trying to open vmware, the moment I tried to opened, it a received the error. Vmware player was working OK, but I wanted to create a new virtual machine so I had to find a solution. The error message was: wmware.exe - No Disk There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk3\DR2. I looked everywhere, including the registry, trying to find a configuration option or something that could be wrong, and nothing helped. Then I discovered a couple of  entries on vmware site that helped solving it. Apparently there is something wrong with the preferences file, locate in  %APPDATA%\VMware\ preferences .ini for  Windows  ~/.vmware/ preferences  for  Linux Not wanting to spend all night trying to solve it, I first deleted de preferences.ini file without looking into it much with  no luck. The solution: I deleted the directory VMWare, first I typed cd %APPDATA% in a command wi

com.pivotmobile.android.metrics file on my Android phone

I recently ran an scan on my phone using MVISION, the scan indicated that com.pivotmobile.android.metrics was sideloaded and that it should be deleted. I could not find any valuable information of its origin on the web, but looking at the application tab on my phone setting, I could find out that it was installed by Claro, my mobile service provider. So I went ahead and deleted, without a problem Take this with a little caution (backup before deleting, bla, bla, bla), but it looks to be a mobile service provider tracking file.

Ubuntu does not recognize windows partitions

Trying to install Ubuntu 12.10, the Ubuntu installer does not recognize that a Windows partition exists. Looking around, it seems kind an usual problem, but with not many real solutions. Browsing around I found an utility to "fix"my partition table. My partition table was working great in Windows, so "fix" is more appropriate than fix. http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/ Being myself I Windows person, I selected the Windows version of the program: to run it I used fixparts 0: The first thing I got was: NOTICE: GPT signatures detected on the disk, but no 0xEE protective partition! The GPT signatures are probably left over from a previous partition table. Do you want to delete them (if you answer 'Y', this will happen immediately)? (Y/N): Now I understood the problem. I used this disk to install MacOS, and the leftovers made the problem. I selected, Y (for yes) and then w to save and exit. Booted Windows again to see everything was OK, and th